An educational intervention developed in Pennsylvania aimed at providing a better understanding of the opioid crisis targeted to public health and healthcare professionals in training
Prescription Overdose Prevention through Pre-Professional Education & Discussion (POPPED) is an educational curriculum that is designed to increase awareness about the opioid crisis and initiatives at the local, state and federal levels to address it. Some of the topics in the curriculum include:
- Education on the opioid crisis, with an emphasis on Pennsylvania
- Prevention of prescription opioid misuse
- Harm reduction strategies focused around naloxone
- Knowledge of federal and state laws
- Interventions framed in the socio-ecological model
Although much of the content describes Philadelphia’s approach to addressing opioids, the curriculum can easily be adapted by health educators to include relevant information to their geographic area. The curriculum can also be adapted so that other important stakeholders (e.g. school educators, law enforcement, criminal justice, first responders) can benefit from this educational intervention.